· Cooking spray
· 1 cup chopped onion
· 500g bone-in chicken breast half, skinned
· 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
· ½ cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken stock
· 1 tablespoon butter
· 250g baby marrow, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
· 250g patty pans, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
· 2 cups cooked long-grain white rice
· 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
· 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
· 1 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
· 1/2 cup grated fresh pecorino Romano cheese, divided or any hard white cheese
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Lightly coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion to pan; sauté 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon pepper; add chicken, meaty side down, to pan. Cook 6 minutes or until browned; turn chicken over. Add stock to pan. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from pan, reserving broth in pan. Let chicken stand 10 minutes. Remove chicken from bones; shred. Discard bones. Place chicken in a large bowl.
3. Bring stock to a boil; cook, uncovered, until reduced to 1/2 cup (about 10 minutes). Add stock mixture to chicken. Melt butter in pan over medium-high heat. Add to pan, sauté 3 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Add baby marrows and patty pan mixture, rice, and minced rosemary to the chicken mixture, and toss gently to combine.
4. Place flour in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Gradually add milk, stirring until smooth; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat; let stand 30 seconds. Add 1/4 cup cheese; stir with a whisk until smooth. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, milk mixture, and salt to chicken mixture; stir to combine. Spoon chicken mixture into an oven-safe baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup cheese over rice mixture; bake at 180 degrees for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove casserole from oven
5. Preheat grill.
6. Grill casserole 5 minutes or until golden.
Nutritional Information Amount per serving
· Calories: 337
· Fat: 9.7g
· Saturated fat: 5.7g
· Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
· Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
· Protein: 23.9g
· Carbohydrate: 38.2g
· Fiber: 2.8g
· Cholesterol: 56mg
· Iron: 2.3mg
· Sodium: 592mg
· Calcium: 331mg